Where it comes from
Arsenic is often found naturally in ground water and has been found in over 70 countries and effects millions of people. It is also found in some food stuffs and by occupational exposure. Arsenic levels can be monitored by blood and urine tests. Long term exposure sees it deposited in liver, hair and nails.
- The contaminated water has to be drunk for a long period of time for it to become a problem. The arsenic can be in the ground water for a number of reasons and can be mobilised by hydraulic cracking of geological strata. The amount of arsenic needed to be present is 0.17 parts per billion
- It is commonly found in rice in that will uptake any arsenic present in the soil
- Not used often in commercial practice and work situations due to its toxicity but is used in smelting gold, zinc and copper ores
Symptoms and dangers
Depending on amount ingested symptoms can take time to appear.
- Arsenic poisoning prevents the body from using thiamine and creates the symptoms of thiamine deficiency
- Raises levels of lactic acid in muscles
- Can cause cardiac and neurological disturbances
- Causes ugly spots on hands and feet and malformation of tissue on the hands
- Pain and dizziness with headache
- Drowsiness and confusion, diarrhoea
- Severe symptoms are loss of hair, stomach cramps, metallic taste in mouth, convulsions, excessive sweating, trouble swallowing
- Can lead to death
Where it is found in the body
Arsenic is found in the tissues, liver, skin, fingernails and hair on the body. It is seen in the blood and urine within a short time of ingestion but long term exposure sees it deposited in the muscle tissue, hair and fingernails. Methods of natural detox can help rid the body of arsenic and one way is to use detox pads that are placed on the soles of your feet relative to pressure points of reflexology.
How to avoid
The obvious ways to avoid poisoning due to arsenic:
- Not to drink from any contaminated water source
- Don’t eat rice grown in an arsenic rich soils or in areas of contaminated water
- Don’t let it become an occupational hazard
- Try natural detox methods like eating 1 to 3 cloves of raw garlic daily if you think might be exposed, or check out these detox foot patches: https://bodypure.org/